Smart shoppers know that auto insurance companies don’t want you to compare rates. People who shop around for cheaper price quotes will probably switch to a new company because there are good odds of finding good coverage at a lower price. A recent study showed that consumers who regularly compared price quotes saved $3,450 over four years compared to policyholders who never shopped around for cheaper prices.
If finding budget-friendly rates on auto insurance is your ultimate objective, then learning a little about how to choose a company and compare cheaper coverage can make shopping around easier.
It takes a little time, but the best way to find cheaper prices for auto insurance rates in Kansas City is to start comparing prices yearly from providers that insure vehicles in Missouri. You can compare prices by following these steps.
- Step 1: Try to learn about coverages and the changes you can make to prevent expensive coverage. Many things that increase rates like distracted driving and poor credit rating can be remedied by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility.
- Step 2: Compare prices from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive and direct companies can give quotes from a single company like GEICO and State Farm, while independent agencies can provide rate quotes from many different companies.
- Step 3: Compare the new rate quotes to your current policy and determine if cheaper Crosstrek coverage is available in Kansas City. If you find a lower rate and change companies, make sure coverage is continuous and does not lapse.
- Step 4: Provide adequate notice to your current company of your decision to cancel the current policy and submit the signed application along with the required initial payment for the new policy. When you receive it, put the certificate verifying proof of insurance above your visor, in the console, or in the glove compartment.
An important part of this process is that you use the same liability limits and deductibles on each quote request and and to get rate quotes from as many different companies as possible. Doing this enables an apples-to-apples comparison and a complete rate analysis.
If you already have coverage or just want to reduce your rates, use these tips to reduce the price you pay without sacrificing coverage. Finding affordable insurance coverage in Kansas City is easy if you know what you’re doing. Smart buyers just have to understand how to compare prices from multiple carriers.
How to buy Subaru Crosstrek insurance online
The auto insurance companies shown below provide comparison quotes in Missouri. If you want the best cheap auto insurance in Kansas City, MO, we suggest you click on several of them in order to find the cheapest rates.
Why do I need car insurance?
Despite the high insurance cost for a Subaru Crosstrek in Kansas City, buying insurance is not optional due to several reasons.
- Just about all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means you are required to carry a specific minimum amount of liability insurance in order to license the vehicle. In Missouri these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Crosstrek has a lienholder, more than likely the lender will require that you have full coverage to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totaled. If you do not keep the policy in force, the lender may insure your Subaru at a much higher premium rate and force you to reimburse them for the much more expensive policy.
- Insurance protects not only your car but also your financial assets. It also can pay for all forms of medical expenses that are the result of an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, will also pay attorney fees if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If you have damage to your Subaru as the result of the weather or an accident, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of having insurance definitely exceed the price paid, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. An average driver in America is overpaying over $810 a year so compare rate quotes at least once a year to ensure rates are competitive.
Cheap Kansas City insurance rates with discounts
Car insurance can cost a lot, but you may find discounts that you may not know about. A few discounts will automatically apply at the time of purchase, but less common discounts must be specifically requested before you will receive the discount.
- No Charge for an Accident – Not really a discount, but a handful of insurance companies will turn a blind eye to one accident before raising your premiums with the catch being you have to be claim-free for a specific time period.
- Save with a New Car – Adding a new car to your policy can save you some money since newer models are generally safer.
- Seat Belt Discounts – Buckling up and requiring all passengers to use a seat belt could cut 10% or more off PIP or medical payments premium.
- Good Student – A discount for being a good student may save as much as 25% on a Kansas City auto insurance quote. The discount lasts up until you turn 25.
- Anti-lock Brake System – Vehicles with ABS and/or traction control are much safer to drive and the ABS can save up to 10%.
- Mature Driver Discount – Mature drivers may be able to get a discount up to 10%.
- Auto/Home Discount – If you insure your home and vehicles with the same insurance company you may save up to 20% and get you low cost Subaru Crosstrek insurance.
- Student Driver Training – Teen drivers should participate in a local driver’s education class as it will make them better drivers and lower rates.
As a sidenote, many deductions do not apply to the entire cost. Some only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like medical payments or collision. So despite the fact that it appears you would end up receiving a 100% discount, insurance companies wouldn’t stay in business. But all discounts will reduce the cost of coverage.
Companies and a partial list of their discounts can be read below.
- GEICO has discounts for defensive driver, daytime running lights, membership and employees, seat belt use, anti-theft, and anti-lock brakes.
- Travelers offers discounts for early quote, driver training, home ownership, new car, save driver, and multi-policy.
- Nationwide has savings for Farm Bureau membership, family plan, defensive driving, multi-policy, and accident-free.
- Farmers Insurance discounts include bundle discounts, pay in full, homeowner, electronic funds transfer, switch companies, and teen driver.
- Esurance may have discounts that include good driver, DriveSense, homeowner, anti-theft, safety device, and Switch & Save.
- State Farm policyholders can earn discounts including student away at school, good driver, passive restraint, defensive driving training, accident-free, and driver’s education.
- Progressive includes discounts for multi-vehicle, homeowner, multi-policy, online quote discount, online signing, and good student.
- Mercury Insurance may offer discounts for location of vehicle, multi-policy, ease of repair, professional/association, and accident-free.
If you need affordable Kansas City auto insurance quotes, ask every company which discounts can lower your rates. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts may not apply in your state. If you would like to choose from a list of insurance companies who offer online Subaru Crosstrek insurance quotes in Missouri, click here to view.
Get rate quotes but work with a local Kansas City insurance agent
Some people just prefer to go talk to an agent and that can be a great decision Most agents are trained risk managers and will help you if you have claims. One of the benefits of comparing insurance prices online is that drivers can save money and get the best rates and also buy local.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this quick form, your insurance data is emailed to agents in your area that provide free Kansas City auto insurance quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. It’s much easier because you don’t need to search for any insurance agencies as quotes are delivered directly to you. In the event you want to quote rates from a specific car insurance provider, you just need to navigate to their website and fill out the quote form the provide.
Finding the right provider shouldn’t rely on just the quoted price. Any agent in Kansas City should have no problem answering these questions:
- Do they feel the quoted coverages are adequate?
- What discounts might you be missing?
- How will an accident affect your rates?
- Do they regularly work with personal auto policies in Kansas City?
- How are they compensated?
If you are searching for an insurance agent, there are a couple of types of agencies and how they differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Car insurance agents in Kansas City can be classified as either independent agents or exclusive agents. Either can handle car insurance, but it’s worth learning the difference in the companies they write for since it could factor into the kind of agent you use.
Exclusive insurance agents normally can only provide a single company’s rates like State Farm, Allstate, and Farm Bureau. They generally cannot shop your coverage around so you might not find the best rates. These agents are very knowledgeable on the products they sell which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums.
Listed below are exclusive agencies in Kansas City willing to provide comparison quotes.
Allen Jones – State Farm Insurance Agent
8900 Wornall Rd – Kansas City, MO 64114 – (816) 361-6362 – View Map
Independent Agencies or Brokers
These agents are not locked into one company so they can insure your vehicles with many different companies and find you the best rates. If they find a cheaper price, they can switch companies in-house which makes it simple for you.
If you are comparing car insurance prices, you absolutely need to include a couple of independent agencies in order to compare the most rates.
Below is a short list of independent agents in Kansas City that are able to give rate quotes.
Daniel Crawford Insurance Agency
1201 NW Briarcliff Pkwy #345 – Kansas City, MO 64116 – (816) 390-4790 – View Map
Different people need different auto insurance coverages
When buying coverage, there isn’t really a cookie cutter policy. Your financial needs are unique.
For instance, these questions can aid in determining whether your personal situation may require specific advice.
- Is a driver training discount available?
- Am I covered while delivering pizza?
- Is my camper covered for physical damage?
- Are combined or split liability limits better?
- Is my vehicle covered by my employer’s policy when using it for work?
- How do I buy GAP insurance?
- Does my medical payments coverage pay my health insurance deductible?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, fill out this quick form. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and can provide invaluable advice.
What insurance coverages do you need?
Learning about specific coverages of your policy can be of help when determining the right coverages at the best deductibles and correct limits. The terms used in a policy can be confusing and nobody wants to actually read their policy.
Medical costs insurance – Med pay and PIP coverage provide coverage for expenses for things like ambulance fees, rehabilitation expenses and EMT expenses. They can be used in conjunction with a health insurance policy or if you lack health insurance entirely. They cover all vehicle occupants as well as being hit by a car walking across the street. Personal injury protection coverage is not available in all states but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Collision coverage – This pays for damage to your Crosstrek resulting from a collision with a stationary object or other vehicle. A deductible applies and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision insurance covers claims such as colliding with a tree, scraping a guard rail, backing into a parked car and crashing into a ditch. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from older vehicles. Drivers also have the option to bump up the deductible on your Crosstrek in order to get cheaper collision rates.
UM/UIM Coverage – This coverage gives you protection from other drivers when they do not carry enough liability coverage. This coverage pays for injuries sustained by your vehicle’s occupants as well as damage to your Subaru Crosstrek.
Due to the fact that many Missouri drivers only carry the minimum required liability limits (25/50/10 in Missouri), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. So UM/UIM coverage should not be overlooked.
Liability car insurance – Liability coverage will cover injuries or damage you cause to other people or property in an accident. Coverage consists of three different limits, bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. You commonly see liability limits of 25/50/10 which stand for $25,000 bodily injury coverage, $50,000 for the entire accident, and $10,000 of coverage for damaged property.
Liability can pay for claims such as bail bonds, emergency aid and medical expenses. How much liability should you purchase? That is a personal decision, but you should buy higher limits if possible. Missouri requires drivers to carry at least 25/50/10 but it’s recommended drivers buy more liability than the minimum.
The illustration below shows why low liability limits may not provide you with enough coverage.
Comprehensive or Other Than Collision – Comprehensive insurance pays for damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. You need to pay your deductible first then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive coverage pays for things like falling objects, damage from flooding, damage from a tornado or hurricane and damage from getting keyed. The highest amount your insurance company will pay is the actual cash value, so if the vehicle is not worth much it’s probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Don’t give up on cheaper rates
The cheapest Subaru Crosstrek insurance in Kansas City can be purchased from both online companies as well as from independent agents in Kansas City, and you should compare rates from both so you have a total pricing picture. A few companies do not offer the ability to get quotes online and most of the time these regional insurance providers only sell through independent agencies.
We just covered a lot of tips how to lower your Subaru Crosstrek insurance prices in Kansas City. The key concept to understand is the more quotes you get, the higher your chance of finding the cheapest Subaru Crosstrek rate quotes. You may even be surprised to find that the biggest savings come from a company that doesn’t do a lot of advertising.
As you shop your coverage around, it’s very important that you do not buy less coverage just to save a little money. There have been many cases where consumers will sacrifice physical damage coverage only to regret that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. The proper strategy is to buy the best coverage you can find at the best cost but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
Additional auto insurance information is available at these links:
- How Much Auto Coverage do I Need? (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much are Kansas City Auto Insurance Quotes for a 20 Year Old Male? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates for Hybrid Vehicles in Kansas City? (FAQ)
- Avoiding Deer Collisions (Insurance Information Institute)
- Five Mistakes to Avoid (Insurance Information Institute)
- Liability Insurance Coverage (Nationwide)