It takes a little time, but the best way to save money on auto insurance rates is to start doing an annual price comparison from providers who provide auto insurance in Kansas City. You can compare prices by following these guidelines.
First, read about auto insurance and the steps you can take to keep rates down. Many rating factors that cause rate increases such as multiple speeding tickets and a substandard credit history can be controlled by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility. Later in this article we will cover additional ideas to get cheaper coverage and find more discounts that you may not know about.
Second, request price quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only give prices from one company like Progressive or State Farm, while independent agents can provide rate quotes from many different companies.
Third, compare the new rates to your existing coverage to see if cheaper K900 coverage is available. If you find a lower rate quote and make a switch, make sure there is no lapse between the expiration of your current policy and the new one.
Fourth, provide notification to your current company of your intention to cancel your current auto insurance policy. Submit a completed policy application and payment for the new policy. Once the application is submitted, store the proof of insurance paperwork along with the vehicle’s registration papers.
One key aspect of rate comparisons is to use similar coverage information on each quote request and and to get rates from every company you can. This provides an accurate price comparison and a complete price analysis.
Shocking but true, a large majority of drivers in Missouri renewed their policy with the same company for a minimum of four years, and 38% of drivers have never quoted auto insurance rates at all. American insurance shoppers can save hundreds of dollars each year just by getting comparison quotes, but most tend to underestimate how much savings they would realize if they replace their high priced policy.
Getting a more affordable price on insurance can be relatively painless. The only requirement is to spend a little time comparing price quotes online from several insurance companies.
It’s so easy to compare rates online that it takes the place of having to spend your day driving to each insurance agency near you. The ability to buy insurance online can eliminate the need for a local agent unless you have a complicated situation and need the peace of mind of a local agent. It is possible to comparison shop your insurance online and still use a local agent.
The car insurance companies shown below offer free quotes in Missouri. To find cheap auto insurance in Kansas City, we suggest you click on several of them to get the best price comparison.
Cheaper Kansas City insurance rates with discounts
Companies don’t always list every possible discount in an easy-to-find place, so here is a list some of the best known as well as the least known discounts you could be receiving when you buy Kansas City auto insurance online.
- Switch and Save Discount – Some companies reward drivers for buying a new policy before your current expiration date. This can save 10% or more.
- Multiple Policy Discount – If you insure your home and vehicles with one company you will save 10% to 20% off each policy.
- Drive Less and Save – Fewer annual miles on your Kia can qualify you for lower rates on the low mileage vehicles.
- Employee of Federal Government – Having worked for a branch of the government can earn a discount up to 10% with select insurance companies.
- Drive Safe and Save – Drivers without accidents can save as much as half off their rates compared to accident prone drivers.
- No Accidents – Good drivers with no accidents can earn big discounts as compared to insureds who have frequent claims or accidents.
A little disclaimer on discounts, most discounts do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Some only reduce individual premiums such as comp or med pay. If you do the math and it seems like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, you aren’t that lucky.
A list of companies and the discounts they provide are included below.
- Progressive may offer discounts for multi-policy, continuous coverage, good student, homeowner, and online quote discount.
- SAFECO offers discounts including anti-theft, homeowner, teen safety rewards, anti-lock brakes, and bundle discounts.
- American Family may include discounts for multi-vehicle, air bags, accident-free, bundled insurance, early bird, and good student.
- MetLife offers discounts for multi-policy, good student, good driver, defensive driver, claim-free, accident-free
- GEICO includes discounts for multi-vehicle, multi-policy, defensive driver, membership and employees, and air bags.
- The Hartford may have discounts that include air bag, good student, defensive driver, bundle, driver training, anti-theft, and vehicle fuel type.
If you need lower rates, check with each company or agent which discounts you may be entitled to. Some credits might not be available to policyholders in your state.
Why you need insurance for your vehicle
Despite the high cost of buying insurance for a Kia K900 in Kansas City, paying for car insurance is a good idea for several reasons.
First, the majority of states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means state laws require a specific level of liability insurance coverage in order to get the vehicle licensed. In Missouri these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if your Kia K900 has a lienholder, most banks will have a requirement that you have insurance to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Kia for a much higher rate and require you to reimburse them the higher price.
Third, insurance safeguards both your assets and your car. It will also provide coverage for medical transport and hospital expenses for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, your policy will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of having car insurance more than offset the price you pay, particularly for liability claims. Despite what companies tell you, the average driver is currently overpaying as much as $865 each year so it’s recommended you shop around at every policy renewal to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Getting quotes from local Kansas City car insurance agents
Some people would prefer to buy from a local agent and that can be a great decision Experienced insurance agents can help determine the best coverages and help submit paperwork. The biggest benefit of price shopping on the web is that drivers can save money and get cheap rate quotes and still buy from a local agent.
Once you complete this quick form, the quote information gets sent to local insurance agents in Kansas City who can give free rate quotes to get your business. There is no reason to search for an agent since rate quotes are delivered instantly to you. If for some reason you want to compare prices for a specific company, don’t hesitate to search and find their rate quote page to submit a rate quote request.
Deciding on an insurer shouldn’t rely on just a cheap price. The answers to these questions are important, too.
- Do they review policy coverages at every renewal?
- What company do they have the most business with?
- Do they get extra compensation for selling add-on coverages?
- Is auto insurance their primary focus in Kansas City?
- Is the agency involved in supporting local community causes?
- Can you contact them at any time?
- Does the agency have a positive business rating?
Independent or Exclusive: It’s your choice
When looking for a local agent, it helps to know the two different agency structures and how they work. Agencies in Kansas City are classified as either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive. Either type can do a good job, but it’s worth learning the difference in how they write coverage since it can affect the selection process.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Exclusive agents work for only one company like Farmers Insurance and State Farm. They are unable to shop your coverage around so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. These agents are usually quite knowledgeable on their company’s products and that can be a competitive advantage.
Below are exclusive agents in Kansas City who may provide you with comparison quotes.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Independent agents are not required to write business for one company and that gives them the ability to insure with multiple insurance companies and get you the best rates possible. If premiums increase, they simply switch companies in-house which requires no work on your part.
If you are comparing rate quotes, we recommend you get quotes from a couple of independent agencies to maximize your price options.
The following are Kansas City independent insurance agencies willing to provide price quotes.