It takes a little time, but the best way to find lower priced car insurance rates is to compare quotes once a year from providers who sell auto insurance in Kansas City. You can shop around by following these guidelines.
First, learn about what coverages are included in your policy and the things you can change to keep rates low. Many rating factors that drive up the price like accidents, traffic violations, and an unacceptable credit rating can be amended by making lifestyle changes or driving safer. Continue reading for information to help keep rates affordable and earn a bigger discount.
Second, compare price quotes from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can only quote rates from one company like Progressive or State Farm, while agents who are independent can quote prices from multiple sources.
Third, compare the new rates to your existing policy and determine if there is any savings. If you find a better price and decide to switch, make sure coverage is continuous and does not lapse.
Fourth, give notification to your agent or company of your intention to cancel your existing policy and submit payment and a completed application for the new policy. Once coverage is bound, put the new proof of insurance certificate with your vehicle’s registration.
A valuable tip to remember is to try to use identical coverages on every quote request and and to get rate quotes from as many companies as you can. Doing this provides an apples-to-apples comparison and a better comparison of the market.
Amazingly, nearly 70% of consumers have stayed with the same insurance company for at least the last four years, and nearly half have never even shopped around for cheaper coverage. The average driver in Missouri could save approximately $300 a year by just comparing rate quotes, but they don’t believe the amount of money they would save if they replace their high priced policy.
Buying the cheapest insurance in Kansas City can be much easier if you know how to start. If you already have coverage or are just looking to switch companies, use these cost-cutting techniques to save money and still get good coverage. Consumers only have to learn how to compare prices online.
The companies shown below provide free rate quotes in Missouri. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you get prices from several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Here’s why car insurance is not optional
Even though it’s not necessarily cheap to insure a BMW in Kansas City, maintaining insurance is required in Missouri but it also protects you in many ways.
- The majority of states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means the state requires a minimum amount of liability insurance coverage if you drive a vehicle. In Missouri these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your M2 has a loan, most banks will make it mandatory that you have physical damage coverage to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If the policy lapses, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your BMW at a significantly higher premium and require you to pay for the much more expensive policy.
- Car insurance protects not only your car but also your assets. It will also reimburse you for medical bills that are the result of an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, also pays expenses related to your legal defense if you cause an accident and are sued. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of buying car insurance greatly outweigh the cost, especially for larger claims. According to a 2015 survey, the average American driver is overpaying over $825 a year so you should quote your policy with other companies once a year at a minimum to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Lower the Price of Auto Insurance with These Tips
Lots of things are part of the equation when pricing auto insurance. A few of the factors are predictable such as traffic violations, but some are not quite as obvious like where you live or how financially stable you are. Smart consumers have a good feel for the different types of things that play a part in calculating the rates you pay for auto insurance. If you have some idea of what influences your rates, this enables informed choices that will entitle you to cheaper rates.
Drive less and get lower premiums – Driving a lot of miles every year the more you’ll pay to insure it. Most companies apply a rate based on their usage. Vehicles that sit idle most of the time can get a lower rate as compared to vehicles used primarily for driving to work. It’s always a good idea to double check that your policy shows the correct usage for each vehicle, because it can save money. An improperly rated M2 can result in significantly higher rates.
Consolidate policies to earn discounts – Most auto insurance companies will give better rates to insureds who buy several policies from them such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. Even if you’re getting this discount it’s in your best interest to check prices from other companies to help ensure you have the lowest rates. It’s possible to still save money even if you insure with multiple companies
Your gender affects prices – Statistics show that men are more aggressive behind the wheel. The data does not necessarily mean that women are better drivers. Both genders have accidents in similar percentages, but males tend to have higher claims. Men also get more serious tickets like DUI and reckless driving. Males from age 16 to 21 are the most expensive to insure and thus pay the highest rates.
Policy add-ons may be wasting money – There are a ton of extra bells and whistles you can purchase on your M2 policy. Coverages like rental car reimbursement, high-cost glass coverage, and membership fees could be just wasting money. They may seem like a good idea when discussing your needs, but if you have no use for them remove them from your policy.
Your job can affect prices – Did you know your auto insurance rates can be affected by your occupation? Careers such as military generals, airline pilots, and emergency personnel generally have higher rates than average because of intense work situations and long work days. Other occupations like professors, students and retirees get better rates.
Auto insurance policy lapses increase auto insurance rates – Going without insurance is a sure-fire way to increase your rates. And not only will your rates increase, not being able to provide proof of insurance will get you a fine, jail time, or a revoked license.
BMW M2 claim probability – Car insurance companies use past insurance losses to determine a rate that will be profitable for them. Vehicles that are shown to have increased losses will have higher rates for specific coverages. The table shown below demonstrates the loss history for BMW M2 vehicles.
For each policy coverage type, the claim probability for all vehicles, regardless of make, model or trim level, equals 100. Numbers under 100 imply a favorable loss record, while percentages above 100 indicate more frequent claims or a tendency for claims to be larger.
|Make and Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|BMW M235 i 2dr||155||277|
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Statistics from IIHS.org for 2013-2015 Model Years
Get cheaper BMW M2 insurance in Kansas City with discounts
The price of auto insurance can be rather high, but there could be significant discounts that many consumers don’t even know exist. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically at the time of quoting, but less common discounts must be requested specifically before you will receive the discount.
- Driver Safety – Passing a class that teaches safe driver techniques could possibly earn you a 5% discount and easily pay for the cost of the class.
- Military Rewards – Being deployed with a military unit may qualify for rate reductions.
- No Claims – Insureds who avoid accidents and claims can save substantially in comparison to insureds who have frequent claims or accidents.
- Paperless Signup – Many larger companies will provide an incentive for signing up digitally online.
- Low Mileage Discounts – Maintaining low annual mileage can qualify you for substantially lower auto insurance rates.
- Multi-car Discount – Purchasing coverage when you have more than one vehicle on a single policy can get a discount on all vehicles.
Don’t be surprised that most discount credits are not given to the entire policy premium. Most cut individual premiums such as comp or med pay. Despite the appearance that having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, you’re out of luck.
A list of auto insurance companies and their offered discounts can be read below.
- State Farm includes discounts for Drive Safe & Save, anti-theft, driver’s education, student away at school, good driver, defensive driving training, and passive restraint.
- Esurance discounts include homeowner, Pac-12 alumni, good student, paid-in-full, anti-lock brakes, and emergency road assistance.
- Progressive offers premium reductions for good student, continuous coverage, multi-policy, online signing, multi-vehicle, and online quote discount.
- Liberty Mutual may have discounts that include multi-policy, safety features, new move discount, hybrid vehicle, newly retired, teen driver discount, and multi-car.
- Auto-Owners Insurance offers discounts including safe vehicle, anti-lock brakes, student away at school, company car, multi-policy, and group or association.
- GEICO may include discounts for anti-theft, daytime running lights, federal employee, five-year accident-free, air bags, and anti-lock brakes.
If you want affordable Kansas City auto insurance quotes, ask each company or agent what discounts are available to you. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts might not be offered on policies in Kansas City. To view insurance companies who offer online BMW M2 insurance quotes in Kansas City, click here.
How to know if you need help
When buying proper insurance coverage for your vehicles, there really is not a perfect coverage plan. You are unique so this has to be addressed.
For example, these questions can aid in determining if your situation may require specific advice.
- Is pet coverage available?
- Do I pay less for low miles?
- Who sells insurance for high-risk drivers?
- Am I covered by my employer’s commercial auto policy when driving my personal car for business?
- Are split liability limits better than a combined single limit?
- What if an uninsured driver hits me?
- What is no-fault insurance?
- Are rental cars covered under my policy?
If you’re not sure about those questions then you might want to talk to an agent. To find an agent in your area, complete this form or click here for a list of auto insurance companies in your area. It only takes a few minutes and can help protect your family.
Do I need an agent?
A lot of people just prefer to talk to an insurance agent and doing so can bring peace of mind Licensed agents can make sure you are properly covered and help submit paperwork. An additional benefit of comparing insurance online is that drivers can save money and get better rates but also keep your business local.
After completing this short form, your information is immediately sent to companies in Kansas City who will gladly provide quotes for your insurance coverage. It makes it easy because there is no need to find an agent because quoted prices will be sent immediately to you. If you want to get a comparison quote for a specific company, don’t hesitate to visit that company’s website to submit a rate quote request.
Selecting an company is decision based upon more than just the bottom line cost. These are some questions your agent should answer.
- By raising physical damage deductibles, how much would you save?
- Do they offer accident forgiveness?
- How long has their agency been open in Kansas City?
- Which insurance companies are they affiliated with?
- Do they have cheaper tiers of coverage?
If you prefer to buy insurance from a local Kansas City insurance agent, it’s important to understand the types of agencies from which to choose. Agents are either exclusive or independent. Either type can insure your vehicles properly, but we need to point out the differences because it can influence the selection process.
Exclusive insurance agents can only write with one company and examples are American Family, State Farm, and Allstate. They generally cannot give you multiple price quotes so they have to upsell other benefits. They are well trained in insurance sales and that can be a competitive advantage. Consumers frequently purchase coverage from exclusives partially due to loyalty to the company rather than low price.
Below are exclusive agencies in Kansas City who may provide you with price quote information.
- American Family Insurance – Dewey Osborn
6405 N Oak Trafficway – Kansas City, MO 64118 – (816) 436-7300 – View Map
- American Family Insurance – Paul Arnone
3851 N Oak Trafficway – Kansas City, MO 64116 – (816) 454-2152 – View Map
- Farmers Insurance – Alisha Elliott
851 NW 45th St #301 – Kansas City, MO 64116 – (816) 841-9494 – View Map
Agents that choose to be independent are not restricted to one company and that is an advantage because they can write policies through lots of different companies and potentially find a lower price. If your agent finds better pricing, your policy is moved internally and you won’t have to switch agencies.
When comparing rates, it’s recommended you get rate quotes from several independent insurance agents so that you have a good selection of quotes to compare. They often place coverage with companies that do not advertise much which could offer lower prices.
Listed below is a list of independent insurance agents in Kansas City willing to provide price quotes.
- Nestel Insurance Agency
9233 Ward Pkwy #124 – Kansas City, MO 64114 – (816) 361-6442 – View Map
- Daniel Crawford Insurance Agency
1201 NW Briarcliff Pkwy #345 – Kansas City, MO 64116 – (816) 390-4790 – View Map
- Fusion Insurance Agency
5920 Wilson Ave – Kansas City, MO 64123 – (816) 470-9050 – View Map
Best auto insurance company in Kansas City
Picking a highly-rated company is difficult considering how many different companies insure vehicles in Missouri. The information displayed below can help you choose which auto insurers you want to consider when shopping around.
|Company||Value||Customer Service||Claims||Customer Satisfaction||A.M Best Rating||Overall Score|
|Compare Rates Now Go|
Data Source: Insure.com Best Car Insurance Companies
Don’t give up on affordable rates
When shopping online for car insurance, do not reduce needed coverages to save money. There have been many cases where consumers will sacrifice uninsured motorist or liability limits only to discover later that it was a big error on their part. Your focus should be to purchase plenty of coverage at the best cost, but do not skimp to save money.
You just read many tips how you can find cheap BMW M2 insurance in Kansas City. The key thing to remember is the more times you quote, the better chance you’ll have of finding low cost Kansas City auto insurance quotes. You may even find the most savings is with a company that doesn’t do a lot of advertising. They may only write in your state and offer lower rates as compared to the big name companies such as Progressive and GEICO.
For more information, take a look at the articles below:
- Side Impact Crash Tests (iihs.org)
- Who Has Cheap Kansas City Car Insurance Quotes for Police Officers? (FAQ)
- How Much are Kansas City Auto Insurance Quotes for a 20 Year Old Male? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Kansas City Car Insurance Quotes for Young Drivers? (FAQ)
- Insurance losses by make and model (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- What Determines the Price of My Auto Insurance Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Prom Night Tips for Teen Drivers (State Farm)
- State Car Insurance Guides (GEICO)