Want to learn how to save money and find lower-priced Volkswagen Passat insurance in Kansas City? Did you make the mistake of buying high-priced Volkswagen Passat insurance in Kansas City? It’s quite common and many consumers are feeling buyer’s remorse and feel like there’s no way out.
A recent NerdWallet.com study revealed that most car insurance buyers renewed their policy with the same company for over three years, and nearly the majority have never compared car insurance rates at all. Drivers in Missouri could save up to 25% each year just by getting comparison quotes, but most just don’t grasp the large savings they would see if they switched.
How to find low-cost Volkswagen Passat insurance in Kansas City
The best way we recommend to find more affordable Volkswagen Passat insurance in Kansas City is to start comparing prices regularly from companies that insure vehicles in Missouri.
- Learn about policy coverages and the modifications you can make to prevent rate increases. Many rating factors that cause rate increases such as at-fault accidents, speeding tickets, and a less-than-favorable credit history can be improved by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes. Keep reading for more details to find cheap prices and get discounts that may be overlooked.
- Compare price quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can only provide price estimates from one company like GEICO or State Farm, while independent agents can give you price quotes for a wide range of companies.
- Compare the price quotes to your existing policy and determine if there is any savings. If you find a better price, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
An important part of this process is to try to use the same level of coverage on each quote request and to quote with as many auto insurance providers as possible. Doing this enables a fair price comparison and and a good selection of different prices.
Vehicle owners have multiple insurance companies to purchase coverage from, and although it’s nice to have a selection, too many choices makes it more difficult to compare rates and find the lowest cost car insurance.
Consumers need to price shop coverage before your policy renews since insurance prices are constantly changing. Just because you had the best rates on Volkswagen Passat insurance in Kansas City a year ago you may be paying too much now. There is a lot of wrong information about Passat insurance on the internet, but I’m going to show you some proven techniques to stop overpaying for insurance in Kansas City.
This information will instruct you on how to compare rates easily and also pocket some savings If you have a policy now, you will surely be able to shop for the lowest rates using the techniques covered below. Smart buyers just have to understand the proper way to find the lowest price online.
The auto insurance companies shown below can provide price comparisons in Missouri. If multiple companies are listed, it’s a good idea that you visit as many as you can in order to find the lowest rates.
Volkswagen Passat coverage analysis
The rate table displayed next highlights detailed analysis of insurance rates for Volkswagen Passat models. Being more informed about how insurance prices are calculated is important for drivers to make smart buying decisions.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Passat Komfort Station Wagon||$182||$348||$218||$12||$66||$826||$69|
|Passat Komfort 4-Dr Sedan||$182||$348||$256||$16||$76||$878||$73|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data assumes married male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Missouri minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, safe-driver, claim-free, multi-policy, and homeowner. Premium costs do not factor in specific Kansas City garaging location which can modify prices greatly.
Rate comparison of full coverage and liability-only
The illustration below shows the difference between Volkswagen Passat auto insurance costs when comparing full coverage to liability only. The information is based on no accidents or driving violations, $500 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no discounts are applied.
Are you wasting money paying for full coverage?
There is no specific rule that works best for making the decision to drop full coverage on your policy, but there is a general convention. If the yearly cost for physical damage coverage is more than around 10% of the settlement you would receive from your company, then it might be time to buy liability only.
For example, let’s assume your Volkswagen Passat settlement value is $3,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is severely damaged, you would only receive $2,000 after paying your policy deductible. If you are paying over $200 a year for comprehensive and collision coverage, then you may need to consider dropping full coverage.
There are some cases where eliminating full coverage is not recommended. If you still have a lienholder on your title, you have to maintain full coverage in order to keep the loan. Also, if your savings is not enough to buy a different vehicle in case of an accident, you should not consider dropping full coverage.
Insurance is an important decision
Even though it can be expensive, maintaining insurance is a good idea for several reasons.
- Just about all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means state laws require a specific level of liability insurance in order to get the vehicle licensed. In Missouri these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your Volkswagen Passat with a loan, most lenders will make it mandatory that you have full coverage to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you default on your policy, the bank may buy a policy for your Volkswagen at an extremely high rate and require you to fork over the higher premium.
- Insurance protects both your vehicle and your assets. It will also cover hospital and medical expenses for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if you are sued as the result of your driving. If your Volkswagen gets damaged, your insurance policy will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of insuring your Passat outweigh the cost, especially if you ever need it. Unknowingly, the average driver is overpaying more than $820 a year so you should quote and compare rates at every renewal to ensure rates are inline.
Discount Kansas City insurance rates
Companies offering auto insurance don’t always list all available discounts very clearly, so we took the time to find both the well known as well as the least known credits that may apply to you.
- Sign Online – Some larger companies will give you a small discount for signing up on the internet.
- Distant Student – Older children who are enrolled in higher education away from home and do not have access to a covered vehicle may qualify for this discount.
- Homeowners Savings – Just being a homeowner can save a few bucks because owning a home demonstrates responsibility.
- Discount for Low Mileage – Keeping the miles down on your Volkswagen may allow you to get better prices on cars that stay parked.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives – Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to use their safety belts may be able to save a few bucks off the PIP or medical payment premium.
- Telematics Devices – Policyholders that allow their insurance company to monitor where and when they drive by installing a telematics device such as State Farm’s In-Drive could see a rate decrease if they are good drivers.
- 55 and Retired – Drivers that qualify as senior citizens can possibly qualify for reduced rates.
- Drivers Ed for Students – Teen drivers should take driver’s ed class as it will make them better drivers and lower rates.
Don’t be surprised that most discount credits are not given to your bottom line cost. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like comp or med pay. Despite the appearance that having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, you aren’t that lucky.
The illustration below illustrates the difference between Volkswagen Passat insurance rates with and without discounts applied to the policy rates. The data assumes a female driver, no accidents, no driving violations, Missouri state minimum liability limits, full physical damage coverage, and $100 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with homeowner, marriage, claim-free, safe-driver, multi-policy, and multi-car discounts applied.
A few popular companies and a partial list of their discounts can be found below.
- Progressive has savings for good student, online signing, homeowner, online quote discount, multi-policy, continuous coverage, and multi-vehicle.
- The Hartford has discounts for air bag, anti-theft, good student, driver training, vehicle fuel type, bundle, and defensive driver.
- Mercury Insurance offers discounts for type of vehicle, annual mileage, multi-policy, good student, multi-car, professional/association, and accident-free.
- GEICO may offer discounts for multi-policy, good student, emergency military deployment, air bags, and anti-lock brakes.
- AAA discounts include anti-theft, good student, good driver, multi-car, AAA membership discount, pay-in-full, and multi-policy.
- State Farm may have discounts that include Steer Clear safe driver discount, Drive Safe & Save, passive restraint, student away at school, good driver, and multiple autos.
When getting a coverage quote, ask every insurance company which discounts you qualify for. Some discounts may not be available in Kansas City.
Car insurance quotes from neighborhood Kansas City auto insurance agents
Some people still prefer to talk to a local agent and that is a smart decision Good agents can help determine the best coverages and give you someone to call. One of the best bonuses of getting free rate quotes online is that you can obtain cheap rate quotes but still work with a licensed agent. And buying from neighborhood insurance agencies is important especially in Kansas City.
Once you complete this short form, your information is emailed to insurance agents in Kansas City who will gladly provide quotes for your business. It’s much easier because you don’t need to do any legwork since rate quotes are delivered to the email address you provide. If you have a need to get a price quote from one company in particular, you just need to navigate to their website and submit a quote form there.
Two different types of car insurance agents
If you are wanting to find a local Kansas City insurance agent, it’s important to understand the types of agencies and how they are slightly different. Car insurance agencies can be classified as either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive. Both types can do a good job, but it’s a good idea to understand the difference in the companies they write for since it could factor into your agent selection.
Independent Car Insurance Agents
These type of agents are not employed by any specific company so as a result can place your coverage with any number of different companies and find the cheapest car insurance rates. If they find a cheaper price, your agent can switch companies which makes it simple for you. If you need cheaper car insurance rates, you definitely need to get several quotes from at least one independent agent in order to compare the most rates.
The following are Kansas City independent agents that can possibly get you free rate quotes.
Chris Jones Insurance Agency
435 Nichols Rd #200 Kansas City, MO 64112 – Kansas City, MO 64112 – (816) 479-0212 – View Map
Exclusive Car Insurance Agents
Exclusive agencies write business for a single company such as AAA, Allstate, State Farm, or Farmers Insurance. They usually cannot provide rate quotes from other companies so you might not find the best rates. Exclusive agents are usually quite knowledgeable on their products and sales techniques which can be an advantage.
The following is a list of exclusive agents in Kansas City that are able to give comparison quotes.
American Family Insurance – Jeff Williams Agency Inc.
6505 N Prospect Ave #100 – Kansas City, MO 64119 – (816) 459-7779 – View Map
Finding the right auto insurance agent requires more thought than just a cheap price. These questions are important to ask:
- If you have an accident, will your rates go up?
- What is the financial rating for the quoted company?
- Do they have designations such as AIC, CPCU, or CIC?
- If you raise deductibles, how much can you save?
- How many years have they been established?
If you get good answers to your questions as well as a price you’re happy with, most likely you have located a car insurance agent that is reputable and can provide car insurance coverage.
Don’t assume everyone needs the same insurance coverage
When quoting and choosing proper insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there is no single plan that fits everyone. Each situation is unique so your insurance should reflect that
Here are some questions about coverages that can aid in determining if your insurance needs might need an agent’s assistance.
- What is roadside assistance coverage?
- Should I get collision insurance on every vehicle?
- Do I have coverage when making deliveries for my home business?
- Do I need PIP (personal injury protection) coverage in Missouri?
- Is my vehicle covered by my employer’s policy when using it for work?
- Which companies are cheaper for teen drivers?
- Can I drive in Mexico and have coverage?
- Am I insured when driving a different vehicle?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but one or more may apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, complete this form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area. It is quick, free and may give you better protection.
Learn about car insurance coverages for a Volkswagen Passat
Learning about specific coverages of your policy can help you determine which coverages you need at the best deductibles and correct limits. Car insurance terms can be ambiguous and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording. Below you’ll find the normal coverages found on most car insurance policies.
This coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage from colliding with a stationary object or other vehicle. You first must pay a deductible then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision insurance covers things like sustaining damage from a pot hole, colliding with a tree, hitting a parking meter and backing into a parked car. This coverage can be expensive, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from vehicles that are older. You can also increase the deductible on your Passat to get cheaper collision coverage.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage
This gives you protection from other motorists when they either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. This coverage pays for injuries sustained by your vehicle’s occupants and also any damage incurred to your Volkswagen Passat.
Since a lot of drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (25/50/10), it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage should not be overlooked. Frequently these limits are set the same as your liability limits.
Medical payments coverage and PIP
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP pay for short-term medical expenses for chiropractic care, rehabilitation expenses, prosthetic devices, nursing services and pain medications. The coverages can be used to fill the gap from your health insurance policy or if there is no health insurance coverage. They cover all vehicle occupants and will also cover getting struck while a pedestrian. PIP is not an option in every state and may carry a deductible
Comprehensive insurance coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. A deductible will apply then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive can pay for claims such as hail damage, theft and falling objects. The maximum amount you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the market value of your vehicle, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Coverage for liability
This will cover damage or injury you incur to people or other property in an accident. This coverage protects you from legal claims by others. Liability doesn’t cover damage to your own property or vehicle.
Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. Your policy might show policy limits of 25/50/10 which means a limit of $25,000 per injured person, a limit of $50,000 in injury protection per accident, and $10,000 of coverage for damaged property. Occasionally you may see a combined single limit or CSL which limits claims to one amount rather than limiting it on a per person basis.
Liability coverage pays for things such as bail bonds, repair costs for stationary objects and funeral expenses. How much liability should you purchase? That is a personal decision, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase as high a limit as you can afford. Missouri state minimum liability requirements are 25/50/10 but you should consider buying more coverage.
The chart below demonstrates why buying low liability limits may not be high enough to cover claims.
A conclusion for your car insurance search
When you buy Kansas City car insurance online, it’s very important that you do not reduce needed coverages to save money. There have been many situations where an insured cut physical damage coverage and found out when filing a claim they didn’t purchase enough coverage. Your goal should be to buy the best coverage you can find for the lowest cost, but do not skimp to save money.
The cheapest Volkswagen Passat insurance in Kansas City is definitely available from both online companies in addition to many Kansas City insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. There are still a few companies who don’t offer online quoting and these regional carriers provide coverage only through independent agencies.
How to find affordable Volkswagen Passat insurance in Kansas City
To save the most money, the best way to get the cheapest auto insurance rates is to start doing an annual price comparison from companies who provide car insurance in Kansas City.
- Step 1: Take a little time to learn about what is in your policy and the steps you can take to prevent expensive coverage. Many policy risk factors that cause rate increases such as accidents, careless driving, and a low credit rating can be remedied by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility.
- Step 2: Request rate estimates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only give prices from one company like GEICO or State Farm, while agents who are independent can quote prices for a wide range of companies.
- Step 3: Compare the new rate quotes to your existing coverage to see if a cheaper price is available in Kansas City. If you find a lower rate quote, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
- Step 4: Provide notification to your current agent or company to cancel your current auto insurance policy. Submit a completed application and payment for your new policy. Once received, safely store the certificate verifying proof of insurance in a readily accessible location in your vehicle.
The most important part of shopping around is to make sure you enter the same physical damage deductibles and liability limits on each price quote and and to get quotes from all possible companies. Doing this helps ensure a fair rate comparison and a complete rate analysis.
- Auto Insurance Facts and Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much are Kansas City Car Insurance Rates for Unemployed Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for a Subaru Impreza in Kansas City? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance for a 20 Year Old Female in Kansas City? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Kansas City Car Insurance Quotes for Young Drivers? (FAQ)
- How Can I Save Money on Auto Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- What Does No-Fault Insurance Cover? (Allstate)